Porcelain and CEREC Crowns in Columbus
Crowns are a type of covering that is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and functionality. Crowns may also be used to improve the appearance of a tooth. Crowns are cemented into place to cover the entire portion of the tooth that is above the gum line.
What are Crowns Used For?
- Cover teeth that are no longer healthy enough to support a filling
- Attach or hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover a severely discolored or misshapen tooth
- Support and protect a weak tooth
- Restore a broken tooth
- Cover a dental implant
What to Expect From the Crowns Procedure
During your first dental appointment, a mold, or impression, of the affected tooth will be taken to ensure an accurate fit of your new crown. While your tooth is numb, Dr. Fixari will remove any tooth decay and shape the surface of the tooth to be crowned. You will be given a temporary crown while your new crown is being constructed in a laboratory.
On your second visit to Dr. Fixari’s office, your temporary crown will be removed, your tooth thoroughly cleaned, and your new crown carefully placed.
Crowns can be made of porcelain, metal, or a combination of both. Though crowns are very durable, they are not permanent and will eventually need to be replaced. You can add to the life of your crown with good oral hygiene habits. Dr. Fixari will advise you on how to properly take care of your new crown. Make sure to schedule visits to Dr. Fixari’s Columbus dental office to have your crown checked regularly.
For more heavily compromised teeth, a traditional treatment has been a crown restoration, which can take several separate appointments. Using the CEREC® method, crown restoration is completed in a single appointment. No impression, no temporary crowns – no need for a second injection. The advanced CEREC technology allows patients to have a new crown in just a few hours.
What is the CEREC technology?
CEREC actually stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. The CAD/CAM CEREC technology permits our doctors to utilize their skills and expertise to create and place beautiful dental crowns within the same appointment!
- Ceramic restorations can be created with the use of this 3D photography and computer technology– all it takes is one office visit and one hour of your time.
- CEREC crowns eliminate the need to have temporary fillings or crowns.
- By using CEREC computer technology, patients do not have to come back for a second office visit. That means you don’t have to receive anesthesia twice.
- Porcelain restorations (porcelain crowns, inlays, and onlays) can be created when using CEREC.
- Our doctors have perfected their technique and are typically able to complete most CEREC crowns within 70 minutes– from design to milling to placing the permanent crown.
Once we consider the characteristics of your teeth, such as the color, bite, shape and length, our team plans and fabricates the restorations for a precise, comfortable fit. By using CEREC technology, patients at Fixari Family Dental have the opportunity to receive top-quality crowns in a single appointment. Contact us today to learn more about this innovative technology!