Periodontal Diagnosis – Gum Disease
Healthy teeth and gums are an essential part of a beautiful smile. Periodontal disease is one that affects the gum tissues and bones surrounding your teeth. It is characterized by a loss of attachment between the tooth and the jawbone. It is actually the leading cause of tooth loss among adults in the United States. A thorough dental exam by Dr. Fixari will allow him to both diagnose and care for any form of periodontal disease you may have.
Stages of Periodontal Disease:
- Gingivitis – This is the first stage in which plaque begins to harden and irritate the gums.
- Periodontitis – Plaque calcifies into tartar and causes the gum line to recede from the teeth. The space between the teeth and gums may become filled with bacteria and pus.
- Advanced Periodontitis – The gums, bone, and periodontal ligament continue to be destroyed and tooth loss is very probable.
Symptoms of Periodontal Disease:
- The gums are irritated and prone to bleeding after flossing or brushing.
- The gums are sensitive and tender.
- The gums recede from the teeth; some teeth may become loose.
Periodontal disease can only be properly diagnosed with an exam. At the exam, Dr. Fixari will use a small instrument called a periodontal probe to measure the space between your teeth and gums. This space is called the sulcus, and should be less than three millimeters deep.
If you are diagnosed with any form of periodontal disease, Dr. Fixari, will advise you on the correct course of action to care for your teeth and restore them to a healthy state. Periodontal disease can become quite serious if left untreated, so make your appointment to visit Dr. Fixari in Columbus, OH today.