Teeth can be lost or irreparably damaged for a number of reasons, including decay, gum disease, or an injury. When this happens, it’s best to replace them with dental implants. Placing an implant prevents the surrounding teeth from shifting out of position, improves the patient’s appearance, and better enables him or her to chew and speak properly.
Dental implants are considered the gold standard treatment for patients who need to replace missing teeth. Columbus implant dentists Mark and Shayne Fixari explain the dental implant procedure and what patients should expect.
Getting Dental Implants: What to Expect
The process of getting dental implants requires several appointments over several months’ time, but the results are well worth the effort.
- After a thorough examination and consultation, the first step is for one of our implant dentists to surgically place the dental implants into your jawbone. The implant is a small, titanium post that will act as a tooth root.
- After the implant(s) have been placed, some time must pass to allow the implants to become stable. Because titanium is a biocompatible material, your body will accept the implants, and over a few months’ time, the implants will fuse with the surrounding bone. This process, called osseointegration, gives the implants strength and stability.
- Once the implants are stable, an abutment is placed on top of each implant. Then, a porcelain crown is attached to the abutment. Once the crown is placed, your smile will be restored.
- People who have dental implants are able to function just as they did with natural teeth; they are able to eat their favorite foods, speak with ease, and smile with confidence.
Sedation for Your Comfort
Patients who decide to get dental implants may be nervous about the procedure, as it is quite invasive. To keep our patients feeling calm and comfortable throughout the appointment, we provide the option to use sedation.
- Patients who are sedated are able to completely relax without being put to sleep.
- Often, patients do not even remember the appointment afterward. Sedation is an excellent choice for patients who struggle with anxiety or a fear of going to the dentist.
The Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
When multiple teeth are missing, the patient may feel that the only option is to use dentures or bridges. However, for many patients, dental implants are a much more effective solution.
- Many patients find dentures to be cumbersome and uncomfortable, but dental implants feel very natural.
- Over time, dentures often become loose if the patient experiences bone or gum tissue loss. Dental implants help prevent this loss and are permanently stable structures the patient can trust.
- Dentures limit the foods the patient can eat, but dental implants enable patients to eat anything they desire.
Dental implants are not just for patients who need to replace all of their teeth. A dental implant can be used to replace a single tooth. We ensure that your single tooth implant is perfectly measured and positioned to ensure that it matches the rest of your smile and feels and functions just like a natural tooth.
Schedule Your Implants Consultation at Fixari Dental
If you have lost a tooth or multiple teeth, dental implants are often the ideal treatment. Schedule your implant consultation with the dentists at Fixari Dental in Columbus, OH to learn about your options for restoring your smile.