Smiles are first impressions. Our smiles are an important way that we communicate to the world around us. Kindness, confidence, beauty, health, and encouragement are non-verbal ways we share with others using our smiles. The option between choose traditional braces and Invisalign can be confusing. How does one decide what is best for them? It truly depends on the patients lifestyle. Differences Braces are brackets and wires that are fixed to your teeth 24/7 and move or straighten teeth. Invisalign is a process where removable aligners are used and changed as the teeth move. Invisalign uses a scanner and computer to create a customized series of trays specific to each patient. One of the benefits is that these trays are removable, allowing patients to sometimes remove them for photos, special events, speaking opportunities, etc. Aesthetics Traditional braces use wire and metal. There are other aesthetic options for braces, such as clear tooth-colored braces that don’t show as much metal when a patient smiles or speaks. If someone is not interested in brackets, then Invisalign is the best option. Invisalign trays are clear and blend in with teeth very well. Eating and Drinking With braces, eating foods such as chips nuts, gum and sticky candies can be challenging and often is avoided. These can disrupt and loosen the brackets and wires, causing extra trips to the dental office for adjustments. Apples and some meats will need to be cut up. Since Invisalign trays are removable, you can remove before eating and drinking. As we all know that brushing and flossing is important, regardless of which type of orthodontics you choose. Both can be done with either kind of orthodontics. Convenience With most orthodontic care, occasionally a bracket may come loose or a wire my move and irritate the inside of your cheek. There are ways to fix these issues before and after a trip back into the office. Fixari Family Dental is available with extended hours to assist you when this happens. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any orthodontic emergency. Availability is an important part of your decision in selecting an orthodontist. Selecting Invisalign will cut back on orthodontic emergencies. It is a good choice for working adults, college students who are out of town, or simply those on the go. Invisalign offers flexibility. Complexity of Orthodontic Problem There are cases when Invisalign is not recommended. Growing children are often given orthopedic devices prior and during orthodontic treatment. Children are not always best at keeping track of trays and specific instructions using aligners. For children and adult cases involving surgery, traditional braces may be the best option. Conclusion If you are considering braces or Invisalign in the Columbus Ohio area, please call Fixari Family Dental for a complimentary evaluation with our orthodontist, Dr. Gu. Fixari Family Dental has two locations in Columbus and Canal Winchester with convenient evening hours as well as Saturday hours to fit the needs of everyone. We will decide together what type of orthodontics works best for your life.
It can be embarrassing and discouraging to have crooked teeth. It’s tough to smile with confidence when you are worried that others are noticing your smile imperfections – but then again, it’s also hard to smile proudly when you have a mouth full of metal braces. Fortunately, there is a solution for patients who want to fix their smiles without resorting to traditional braces: the Invisalign clear braces system.
The Basics of InvisalignThe basic concept of Invisalign is simple: rather than getting metal brackets bonded to their teeth, Invisalign patients wear clear, removable trays made of hard plastic. Over time, the trays are traded out to guide the teeth into their proper places.
The Many Benefits of InvisalignWhy endure months or even years of metal braces when you don’t have to? Using the Invisalign system, you can correct your uneven bite or crooked teeth without any of the downsides of traditional braces.
- The most obvious benefit of Invisalign aligners is that they are clear. Most people don’t even notice when others are wearing them. This is one of the main reasons many teenagers and adults choose Invisalign.
- Since the clear trays are removable, patients do not have to adjust their diets as they would to protect metal braces. They can enjoy all their favorite foods, and they won’t have to worry about getting food stuck in them. Of course, the fact that they are removable also means it is much easier for patients to brush and floss properly, too.
- Many patients find Invisalign to be more comfortable to wear than metal braces, as the trays are made of smooth plastic rather than mouth-irritating metal.
- Patients can whiten their teeth as they straighten them. Invisalign trays can do double duty as whitening trays!
YES, it is certainly possible to correct an uneven bite! An uneven bite can cause pain and discomfort, and may impact your physical appearance, so it is important to get the care you need as soon as possible. When your teeth do not line up properly, you may have trouble chewing thoroughly and speaking clearly, and you may experience TMJ pain. An uneven bite is a common problem, but it is one that should be taken care of promptly to avoid further problems down the road.
Types of Uneven BitesA misaligned bite can be caused by a wide range of problems, known as malocclusions. Some of the most common are:
- Overbite (front upper teeth significantly overlap lower teeth)
- Underbite (lower teeth are in front of the front upper teeth)
- Crossbite (one or more of the teeth grows in overbite or underbite fashion)
- Openbite (upper and lower teeth are pushed out so that they do not meet)
What Causes an Uneven Bite?The causes of an uneven bite vary depending on the individual case; sometimes the patient’s habits, such as thumb sucking, can lead to bite issues. Other times, it can be hereditary. Whatever the cause, there are treatment options that will effectively take care of your bite.
Treatment Options for a Misaligned BiteFor many patients, orthodontic braces can be used to shift the teeth into their proper places and correct the bite problem. Treatment may also include additional appliances to achieve the desired result. In some cases, the patient may need to undergo oral surgery to correct a misaligned bite.
Benefits of Correcting an Uneven Bite
- Choosing to fix your bite comes with several benefits, making it well worth the time and effort of undergoing treatment.
- Correcting the bite often helps the patient feel more comfortable with his or her appearance.
- Choosing treatment is key to avoiding damage to the teeth. When teeth do not line up properly, uneven wear is placed upon certain teeth. Correcting this problem keeps teeth healthy.
- For patients with TMJ disorders, correcting bite problems can alleviate pain and discomfort.
The Invisalign clear braces system has become one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments. Invisalign has become known as the modern solution for people who need to straighten their teeth. To be sure, there are many benefits to using it. However, Invisalign is not for everyone. Our office understands that each patient is unique and will have his or her own needs and preferences when it comes to cosmetic dental treatment. If Invisalign is not right for you, rest assured, we will find a suitable treatment for you that will straighten your teeth and create a smile you will love.
Why Invisalign May Not Be Right For YouThough there are many reasons to choose Invisalign, there are also reasons it may not be the best choice for an individual. These include:
- Invisalign is more expensive than traditional braces or other treatments. For adults who are on a budget, for families, or for people who simply do not want to invest a significant amount of money into a cosmetic procedure, Invisalign may simply be out of their price range.
- Invisalign is not a good treatment option for children. In order for Invisalign to be effective, the patient must follow his or her treatment plan closely, wearing the aligners at least 22 hours per day. Most children simply are not ready for that responsibility.
- Depending on your individual case, you may not be a good candidate for Invisalign. During your consultation, we’ll let you know whether Invisalign is likely to work for you.
- If you are an adult who would prefer an orthodontic treatment you don’t have to think about, Invisalign is not for you. Patients who wear Invisalign must remember to wear them at all times when they are not eating or brushing and flossing. Some patients find that traditional braces, which cannot be removed, give them the freedom to not have to worry about their treatment. Others find that a method outside of braces and Invisalign will best suit their needs.
Options Other Than InvisalignYou certainly are not limited to choosing Invisalign if you want to straighten teeth that are crooked, gapped, or crowded. Here are some other options that may be better for you.
- Traditional braces: For many people who have crooked teeth, traditional braces are an ideal treatment option. Metal brackets are attached to the teeth and joined by a metal wire that will pull the teeth into their proper locations. Metal braces do not carry the same responsibilities as Invisalign because they cannot be removed by the patient, a feature many patients find to be beneficial.
- Orthodontic appliances: Depending on the movement necessary to correct your smile, we may be able to provide you with an orthodontic appliance that will straighten your teeth without the full-on expense of Invisalign or metal braces.
- Porcelain veneers: Some patients want straighter smiles, but they don’t want to suffer through the discomfort, inconvenience, and time commitment associated with orthodontic treatment. For these patients, porcelain veneers may be an excellent option. Porcelain veneers disguise crooked teeth rather than straightening them. Thin layers of translucent porcelain are attached to the fronts of the crooked teeth, giving the appearance of a perfectly straight time. Veneers enable patients to choose exactly how their smiles will look after treatment, which makes them an attractive choice. This cosmetic treatment can last a decade or more with good care.