Periodontal disease is an infection of the area surrounding the teeth. Common symptoms include swollen and/or irritated gums, sensitivity, and receding gums. Many adults have the beginning stages of gum disease
and aren't even aware. If you experience pain or bleeding when brushing or flossing, it is likely a sign that infection is present and it's time to see your dentist.
The Progression of Gum Disease
There are three stages of periodontal disease: gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis.
- In the first stage, gingivitis, the gums are simply irritated and a minor infection is present. This is the best time to seek attention from a periodontist so treatment can begin early.
- If the gum disease moves to the second stage, periodontitis, further infection sets in. The patient may have pus form between the gums and teeth, and the gum line may begin to recede away from the teeth.
- If the gum disease is allowed to become advanced periodontitis, tooth loss is likely. At this stage, the gums, bone, and tooth are all at risk.
Gum disease in any stage should be taken seriously. At Fixari Dental
, Drs. Mark and Shayne Fixari provide gum disease detection
and treatment to help patients restore their oral health and avoid future complications.
The Importance of Getting Gum Disease Treatment
- Gum disease can be devastating to your oral health, causing tooth and bone loss as well as significant pain around the teeth and gums. That's why it's so important to see your dentist regularly, and to schedule an appointment if you notice signs of gum disease.
- Gum disease can also impact your overall health and well being. People with gum disease are at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes complications, and certain cancers, among other conditions. As you can see, detecting and treating gum disease as soon as possible is crucial.
Gum Disease Treatment
Fortunately, there are treatments available to manage periodontal disease
before permanent damage has been done.
- Patients who have gingivitis often require a simple cleaning to restore their oral health. Rest assured, early signs of gum disease are easily treated and very manageable. We can provide you with the tools you need to keep your oral health in check.
- You may be given medicated mouthwash or antibiotics to clear up any infection that may be present. You may also receive special instructions on how to care for your teeth and gums, such as using a particular type of toothbrush.
Though common, gum disease should be taken seriously and treated promptly. Drs. Mark and Shayne Fixari are prepared to help you improve your oral health and take care of your teeth and gums with effective treatments and self-care. If you are near Columbus, OH and are experiencing signs of gum disease, we encourage you to schedule an appointment at Fixari Dental.
- If the periodontal disease is more advanced, scaling and planing may be necessary. This deep cleaning treatment removes tartar and plaque, prevents further plaque from attaching to the root surface, and allows the area to heal.